Author Topic: lol anime  (Read 2214 times)

-the_mole-

• Starkey/Mole
    • http://www.totalgamerzone.com
lol anime
« on: May 13, 2015, 12:03:35 pm »
lol anime

BigD

• Insert Title Here
Re: lol anime
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 01:55:34 pm »
Get the fuck out of here asshole. :|
Not long ago you were miming to the Shook Ones
Now this really is Part II cuz you're the shook one

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 07:44:39 pm »
it was called 'lol anigay' last time you made this topic. What happened? :/D

-the_mole-

• Starkey/Mole
    • http://www.totalgamerzone.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 02:39:35 am »
Well 1) I actually like anime now.  I just avoid most of the fans. 2) I had some friends in college that showed me everything from Akira to Madoka... So I have a good base now. 3) they went and made Anime Maru, which I hear is pretty famous. 4) I sold my soul to the SJWs so now I can only ever be politically correct, or my face bursts into flames and I explode into billions of male-tears.

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 09:02:38 pm »
Well 1) I actually like anime now.  I just avoid most of the fans. 2) I had some friends in college that showed me everything from Akira to Madoka... So I have a good base now. 3) they went and made Anime Maru, which I hear is pretty famous. 4) I sold my soul to the SJWs so now I can only ever be politically correct, or my face bursts into flames and I explode into billions of male-tears.
So I actually finished watching PsychoPass (the second only ever anime ive seen a full season of, Death Note being the first) and I enjoyed it so I let my friend recommend me another one and he chose Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (apparently its highly thought of), well after 2 epsidoes I am done. All the reasons I hated anime are back. Forced 'humour', exaggerations in the animations and reactions, super childish elements and the tone is just all over the place. Could be a while before I give another one a go again <_<

In regards to point no.4. My deepest condolences :( nothing worst than political correctness 

-Reivax-

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 03:30:09 am »
So I actually finished watching PsychoPass (the second only ever anime ive seen a full season of, Death Note being the first) and I enjoyed it so I let my friend recommend me another one and he chose Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (apparently its highly thought of), well after 2 epsidoes I am done. All the reasons I hated anime are back. Forced 'humour', exaggerations in the animations and reactions, super childish elements and the tone is just all over the place. Could be a while before I give another one a go again <_<

In regards to point no.4. My deepest condolences :( nothing worst than political correctness 

You should watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's brilliant.

-Shadow32-

11/24/1986 - 9/06/2007

linkzero

• Omnipotent Jelly
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 11:45:42 pm »
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is what they should have recommended you, if you liked Psycho-Pass. Psycho-Pass is the only recent decent cyber-punk anime to come out.
Ghost in the Shell series is pretty famous/popular too.

I really enjoyed FMA Brotherhood though, but I can understand your thoughts. But there are different types of anime, just as there are different types of TV shows or movies. FMA is a shonen manga/anime, designed for young boys, so it's going to have a lot of those elements you described.
Most of my favourite anime are actually of the seinen genre, which is more targeted at young adult males, things like Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo (which admittedly has a bit more shonen elements than the previous two), and Mushishi. They generally have more adult or political themes, can be more violent, and will often leave out the more childish elements you dislike.

Aside from Ghost in the Shell, Akira which Mole mentioned (and is also seinen genre), were the first two anime films to really popularise anime in the west, aside from Studio Ghibli films (like Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle). Those are also all worth a try.
Another anime film I recently watched was called Patema Inverted, which is also well worth a watch.

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 08:20:09 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions guys put id really only be willing to check one out thats on the Netflix Aus catalogue just for convenience sake.
I'll mention a few they have and see what yous think.

Sword Art Online
Gurren Lagann
Knights of Sidonia
Blue Exorcist

and quite a few others which really dont look appealing lol

linkzero

• Omnipotent Jelly
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 02:46:05 am »
I reckon Knight of Sidonia is your best bet out of that list. It's seinen, so more adult orientated themes. It's also about the remnants of the human race trying to survive alien attacks aboard their spaceship, so it is a bit reminiscent of Battlestar Galactica. I watched a couple of eps, and it isn't bad, but haven't gotten around to completing it.

Gurren Lagann, and similarly Kill La Kill, are quite entertaining. I really enjoyed them. But they basically take elements from anime, like the ones you mentioned, and push them to the extreme that they can go. For instance many magical school girl anime will have 'fanservice' panty shots etc. and Kill La Kill takes that as far as it can go to ridiculous proportions.
I'm not sure you'd necessarily appreciate it as much, they can be pretty polarising in terms of people's opinions on those two series.

Sword Art Online is about people getting trapped in an MMO, and I've watched the first two seasons, but it's pretty standard shonen anime, and not particularly good even from that. I'd pass on that.

Never heard of Blue Exorcist, can't make a recommendation.

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 06:52:30 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts link, sounds like Knight of Sidonia is the only one I might like.

ZoodtheDood

• The Last Barbarian King
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 07:00:46 pm »
Dude no man. Gurren Lagann. Seriously. It'll blow your soccer shorts off.