Author Topic: General Gaming news thread  (Read 44931 times)

Dice

• Staff
  • Administrator
    • http://www.totalgamerzone.com/
Re: General Gaming news thread
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 10:28:15 am »
Environments look amazing. Jak though looks a little strange. He was always looking more adult as the games go along but that just looks off.
Would still kill for this to be made one day :(
This is interesting. Would you say your connection with Jak was still strong as he aged throughout the games? I felt more connected with him in Jak 1 and 2, and I think 3 certain times i felt more distant maybe because he got too "adulty"

btw

would make a nice movie sometime hehe
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:32:15 am by Dice »

-Reivax-

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 01:31:14 pm »
MGSV got 10 at IGN and GS. Hype is real :D

In Kojima we trust :yes:

-Shadow32-

11/24/1986 - 9/06/2007

BigD

• Insert Title Here
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 01:28:45 pm »
MGSV got 10 at IGN and GS. Hype is real :D

Nice! Gonna get it in a couple of weeks hopefully :yes:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:31:40 pm by BigD »
Not long ago you were miming to the Shook Ones
Now this really is Part II cuz you're the shook one

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 04:43:10 pm »
Environments look amazing. Jak though looks a little strange. He was always looking more adult as the games go along but that just looks off.
Would still kill for this to be made one day :(
This is interesting. Would you say your connection with Jak was still strong as he aged throughout the games? I felt more connected with him in Jak 1 and 2, and I think 3 certain times i felt more distant maybe because he got too "adulty"

btw

would make a nice movie sometime hehe
for me personally I feel that the series was set perfectly with my life at the time where it was aging and getting more mature just as I matured and started to enjoy more story and character driven games over just good platforming.
In regards to Jak 3 i felt the story itself was the strongest but yeah the connection to Jak the character wasn't as strong as he sort of became just a piece (major piece) in the overall story and not really just the main character.

-Reivax-

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 04:01:03 pm »
Jak 2 was the most ground-breaking of the trilogy. It's my personal favourite of the three. Jak and Daxter was a pretty traditional platformer (a very good one, though). Jak 2 was a revolution with its sandbox features and darker theme, while Jak 3 was more of a finetuning of Jak 2's concepts.

-Shadow32-

11/24/1986 - 9/06/2007

-Reivax-

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 05:13:54 am »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

-Shadow32-

11/24/1986 - 9/06/2007

-Reivax-

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 01:37:14 pm »
Some exciting stuff from PSX 2015:

- Final Fantasy VII Remake Gameplay Trailer:

Looks amazing (and much further along in development than I thought). On the other hand, the new combat system looks more action-oriented than I had hoped. Still, I haven't been this hyped about a video game in a long, long time  :bow:

- Ni No Kuni 2 has been announced for PS4:

Looking gorgeous. I loved the first one :yes:

- New Ratchet & Clank trailer: 

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:50:03 pm by -Reivax- »

-Shadow32-

11/24/1986 - 9/06/2007

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 05:15:16 pm »
Although I found PSX conference to be a little disappointing overall (No Sony Bend game announcement, no Santa Monica main project :( ), those all look amazing! Was hoping Level 5 was working on a Dark Cloud project but I know that Ni No Kuni is highly regarded so will definitely check it out.
Uncharted 4 and R&C look spectacular and FFVII remake, like you said, is way further in development than I expected.

linkzero

• Omnipotent Jelly
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 03:06:17 am »
Apart from the games you mentioned, I thought the Adult Swim indie games, specifically Death's Gambit & Rain World looked really good.

I still need to finish Ni No Kuni lol, but it was pretty good when I played it.

linkzero

• Omnipotent Jelly
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 03:11:21 am »
Quote from: Square Enix
LOS ANGELES (Dec. 6, 2015) - During this past weekend’s PlayStation Experience in San Francisco, SQUARE ENIX® debuted a new trailer for FINAL FANTASY® VII REMAKE, the full remake of the award-winning role-playing game, FINAL FANTASY VII. The new trailer features the first CG scenes as well as gameplay footage. FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.

Urgh. Ruined.

-Reivax-

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 02:15:12 pm »
Quote from: Square Enix
LOS ANGELES (Dec. 6, 2015) - During this past weekend’s PlayStation Experience in San Francisco, SQUARE ENIX® debuted a new trailer for FINAL FANTASY® VII REMAKE, the full remake of the award-winning role-playing game, FINAL FANTASY VII. The new trailer features the first CG scenes as well as gameplay footage. FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.

Urgh. Ruined.

My first reaction was this:

There had to be a catch somewhere.

After thinking about it some more, I'm going to reserve judgement until we get more info. If this means we're getting Part 1 (e.g. the part in Midgar or the entire Disc 1) at the end of 2016/beginning of 2017 I can certainly live with the decision. FFVII was a massive game in terms of content, so perhaps this is the only way to give us a full remake.

What did you think about the trailer, LZ?

-Shadow32-

11/24/1986 - 9/06/2007

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 06:14:20 pm »
I'm gonna try be understanding and wait for more info. It must have to do with a timeline issue. Knowing SE, it would've probably taken until at least late 2018 to complete the full game. I'm still hopeful but it did seem too good to be true :(

linkzero

• Omnipotent Jelly
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 07:07:33 pm »
After thinking about it some more, I'm going to reserve judgement until we get more info. If this means we're getting Part 1 (e.g. the part in Midgar or the entire Disc 1) at the end of 2016/beginning of 2017 I can certainly live with the decision. FFVII was a massive game in terms of content, so perhaps this is the only way to give us a full remake.

What did you think about the trailer, LZ?

Honestly, from the trailer, I was rather impressed (not hyped though, but impressed). Final Fantasy XV trailers have shown more impressive stuff, which felt more hype worthy. This is factoring in personal bias too. (Much more the Zelda fan hehe)

I think development has been shortened, because it looks like they're probably reusing a lot of the engine / design from Final Fantasy XV, which certainly would speed things up (similar to FFXIII, and having faster turnover for FFXIII-2). I'm a big Ninja Gaiden / Devil May Cry fan, so the combat changes to the more action oriented FFXV style actually suit me more. All the overworld exploration part looks quite nice too, similar to FFXV.

As for the episodic release, they did say that it wasn't going to be a straight up remake. And this certainly isn't the kind of game that would have the same episodic releases like Telltale games etc. It certainly makes sense, that if they want to make a proper huge game, they need to release it in parts, to keep up funding by having people buy the initial episodes.

When they first announced the game, and even after seeing the trailer, I honestly think that to do a proper full on remake, the development cycle would still be a minimum of 3 years, and knowing SE, probably closer to 5 years for a full release. If they release development in parts, then you're probably looking at, as you said, initial release probably in a year (which would give 2 years development for the initial episode), and then an episode being released approximately every year to year & a half. I can't see the first episode release going beyond Midgar. Releases will be closer to 2 episodes per disc.

I probably won't be buying the episodes until it's all released (I still don't have a PS4 yet anyway), which by that time (I'm thinking 4-5 years, basically end of PS4 life cycle), there will probably be a collection released, or by buying them individually when on sale, will save a lot.

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 08:12:58 pm »
This is a follow up statement from SE:

'It means instead of concluding in one entry, multiple entries are being considered in development. Each entry will have its own unique story. As a gaming experience, each entry will have the volume of content equal to a full-sized game.'

Maybe episodic isn't the best words for this. It could literally be 3 full games like FFXIII and all its sequels. That statement also pretty much guarantees each game will be priced as a full release title.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:17:24 pm by madmaltese »

linkzero

• Omnipotent Jelly
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2015, 02:31:53 am »
This is a follow up statement from SE:

'It means instead of concluding in one entry, multiple entries are being considered in development. Each entry will have its own unique story. As a gaming experience, each entry will have the volume of content equal to a full-sized game.'

Maybe episodic isn't the best words for this. It could literally be 3 full games like FFXIII and all its sequels. That statement also pretty much guarantees each game will be priced as a full release title.

That doesn't give me any further confidence. Still worded as obvious media damage control.

I still stand by what I think will be happening. The fact that they say that they believe each release will be equal to a full-sized game, means that each release will be priced as a full release title, irrespective of the fact that each game will be guaranteed to be shorter than say FFXV or their other typical releases.

Remember that FFVII was a multi-disc game, which doesn't happen anymore. Games nowadays are typically shorter in length than they were 10 years ago.
One of the SE developers even said in a previous interview that it would take 3-4 times the development cycle of FFXIII to port FFVII to a similar style.

It's going to be FFVII released over several parts/episodes. Doesn't matter how you want to name it. They will be adding additional story content to bulk up each title (which they've mentioned), I'm sure.