Author Topic: Photobucket  (Read 1330 times)

-Reivax-

• Staff
  • Administrator
Photobucket
« on: July 23, 2017, 06:33:33 am »
So I just found out Photobucket is now asking for a $399 charge for allowing images hosted on its platform to be embedded into third-party sites. They're also blocking users from accessing/recovering the images they have stored in the past.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40492668

Is anyone aware of a way to recover the images I stored on my PB account?

-Shadow32-

11/24/1986 - 9/06/2007

linkzero

• Omnipotent Jelly
Re: Photobucket
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 08:36:48 am »
I think you can still recover the images. I can certainly log in to my account, and presumably recover my images, although the site is experiencing a lot of traffic and won't load for me at the moment.

-Reivax-

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 10:08:29 am »
I can still log in, but the images don't load for me (but maybe it's because of traffic). Let me know if it works for you.

-Shadow32-

11/24/1986 - 9/06/2007

BigD

• Insert Title Here
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 12:29:17 pm »
Photobucket is now asking for a $399 charge

Not long ago you were miming to the Shook Ones
Now this really is Part II cuz you're the shook one

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 06:58:36 pm »
Sheesh. From free to $399, that's bs.

linkzero

• Omnipotent Jelly
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 09:31:02 pm »
I can still log in, but the images don't load for me (but maybe it's because of traffic). Let me know if it works for you.

Yup, got past the traffic today. Able to download all my images (my Mugen sig was the only real important one).

I now have a bunch of Gamespot tags I made, which I don't need anymore either hahaha.

I'm using Postimage as the alternative free image uploader. Basically works the same as Photobucket did.

Also, I happen to still have your sig on my computer if you want it:

-Reivax-

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 03:47:54 pm »

Yup, got past the traffic today. Able to download all my images (my Mugen sig was the only real important one).

I now have a bunch of Gamespot tags I made, which I don't need anymore either hahaha.

I'm using Postimage as the alternative free image uploader. Basically works the same as Photobucket did.

Also, I happen to still have your sig on my computer if you want it:

Thanks man!

EDIT: seems like it's working for me too now.

-Shadow32-

11/24/1986 - 9/06/2007

linkzero

• Omnipotent Jelly
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 06:18:29 pm »
Just be aware that Imgur states in their terms of service that they don't allow third party hosting either.

You can probably get away with it if you don't use images that generate a lot of traffic and bandwidth.
But that's why I'm using Postimage instead.

DefaultGen

• Fanboys are casuals
  • Guitar Hero Superfan
    • http://www.radiantsilvergun.com
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 10:05:03 pm »
Just be aware that Imgur states in their terms of service that they don't allow third party hosting either.

You can probably get away with it if you don't use images that generate a lot of traffic and bandwidth.
But that's why I'm using Postimage instead.

What, they give me the BBCode-formatted link after an upload. What do they think I'm gonna do with it?

linkzero

• Omnipotent Jelly
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 06:54:29 am »
"Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do and we will be the judge or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it."

http://imgur.com/tos

Vaft

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 11:34:46 am »
That odd moment when you realize image hosts from over a decade ago are still around...

DefaultGen

• Fanboys are casuals
  • Guitar Hero Superfan
    • http://www.radiantsilvergun.com
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 12:10:19 pm »
That odd moment when you realize image hosts from over a decade ago are still around...

But expage.com is gone :(

linkzero

• Omnipotent Jelly
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 05:30:16 pm »
I'm just glad I wasn't one of those people who were using it to host hundreds of images on a site, or store front. That would have been hella annoying to transfer across.