Author Topic: Default, I have questions.  (Read 213 times)

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
Default, I have questions.
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:32:52 pm »
Gonna dedicate this thread to basically interrogating default because I now just have a curiousity about his game collecting.

Listened to your most recent podcast last night. The one about 2019 goals and so on.

First question how is it possible to have an average of 3/4 new games a day lol Like are you buying stuff in bulk of 100+ or?
Secondly, this legitimately sounds like a very expensive hobby or is it not as bad as it sounds.
Thirdly, is the whole scene are collecting 'sets'? As in that's what actually matters or is it just about collecting favourites from your past on all random things.

Thank you  :kiss:

DefaultGen

• Fanboys are casuals
  • Guitar Hero Superfan
    • http://www.radiantsilvergun.com
Re: Default, I have questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 12:46:51 pm »
I have no idea how I bought so many games last year, but it looks like it was mostly Sega Genesis and SNES games. Since I'm collecting the sets, it was probably tons of $5 commons. Last year was probably the year I bought the most games. I aggressively buy games I think will go up in value, not as an investment but just because I don't want to spend more later. I mostly put in tons of Ebay snipes. The only time I really buy bulk is when my local store has like 30% off sales, then I'll go and buy literally everything I don't own from the 80s and 90s because their prices are already good.

Game collecting is relatively young and if it ever becomes a real collecting hobby like comics, cards, art, movie posters, etc. we are not in the crazy times yet. Just look at what Amazing Fantasy 15 costs now compared to just a decade ago ($1500 to $20000). Even the rarest, most collectible games break $1000 extremely rarely. Even $1-200+ is pretty exceptional for a video game, let alone the $10,000+ crazy town that key comic issues go for.

Full console sets are pretty popular to collect, although it's not as easy since 2012 when game prices started exploding. In the dystopia future I'm planning for, I think full sets will be much less popular and mint, complete, or sealed Nintendo games and rarities are going to be the real name of the game for big collectors. Lots of people just collect "good" games rather than "collectible" games because things like Nintendo games are generally common and cheap.

Younger folks collect more disc games because it's what they grew up with, but NES and SNES are kind of evergreen. If you only buy good games, game collecting is pretty damn cheap. Pretty much all the best Nintendo games are like $20 tops. If you're actually playing games, the value is still crazy for retro stuff. Even like some popular $80 RPG like Lufia 2... it's like... OK it's expensive but it's only $20 more than Octopath Traveller if you really want to play it and it's not just shelf candy. Too many people complain about the price of full sets as if you have to collect full sets. No one judges the Xbox One by how much it would cost to buy every Xbox One game, but people look at Sega Saturn and they're like "Man, owning every Saturn game would be so expensive".

This was my collection a year ago

And now

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:48:58 pm by DefaultGen »

DefaultGen

• Fanboys are casuals
  • Guitar Hero Superfan
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 12:54:01 pm »
PC game collecting is the only part of game collecting that currently makes sense. Obscure rarities are generally worthless. Everyone wants Lucasarts, Sierra, and id Software games. Pricier games are like early Ultima or mail order Doom. There's no "set" of PC games and people don't have room to fill their shelves with unlimited garbage because the boxes are so big, so collections are actually curated.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:22:09 pm by DefaultGen »

ZoodtheDood

• The Last Barbarian King
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 08:03:20 pm »
I have no idea how I bought so many games last year, but it looks like it was mostly Sega Genesis and SNES games. Since I'm collecting the sets, it was probably tons of $5 commons. Last year was probably the year I bought the most games. I aggressively buy games I think will go up in value, not as an investment but just because I don't want to spend more later. I mostly put in tons of Ebay snipes. The only time I really buy bulk is when my local store has like 30% off sales, then I'll go and buy literally everything I don't own from the 80s and 90s because their prices are already good.

Game collecting is relatively young and if it ever becomes a real collecting hobby like comics, cards, art, movie posters, etc. we are not in the crazy times yet. Just look at what Amazing Fantasy 15 costs now compared to just a decade ago ($1500 to $20000). Even the rarest, most collectible games break $1000 extremely rarely. Even $1-200+ is pretty exceptional for a video game, let alone the $10,000+ crazy town that key comic issues go for.

Full console sets are pretty popular to collect, although it's not as easy since 2012 when game prices started exploding. In the dystopia future I'm planning for, I think full sets will be much less popular and mint, complete, or sealed Nintendo games and rarities are going to be the real name of the game for big collectors. Lots of people just collect "good" games rather than "collectible" games because things like Nintendo games are generally common and cheap.

Younger folks collect more disc games because it's what they grew up with, but NES and SNES are kind of evergreen. If you only buy good games, game collecting is pretty damn cheap. Pretty much all the best Nintendo games are like $20 tops. If you're actually playing games, the value is still crazy for retro stuff. Even like some popular $80 RPG like Lufia 2... it's like... OK it's expensive but it's only $20 more than Octopath Traveller if you really want to play it and it's not just shelf candy. Too many people complain about the price of full sets as if you have to collect full sets. No one judges the Xbox One by how much it would cost to buy every Xbox One game, but people look at Sega Saturn and they're like "Man, owning every Saturn game would be so expensive".

This was my collection a year ago

And now

What game are you missing from your NES Licensed set? Also is the Blockbuster World Video Game Championship versions of DKC and NBA Jam your holy grail?

-Reivax-

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 05:55:47 am »
What game are you missing from your NES Licensed set?

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well.

-Shadow32-

11/24/1986 - 9/06/2007

DefaultGen

• Fanboys are casuals
  • Guitar Hero Superfan
Re: Default, I have questions
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 10:25:06 pm »
Stadium Events, itís like $8000 on a good day for a US copy. No thanks. If I have a ďgrailĒ, thatís it because Iíll probably never own it. I have DKC competition and donít really care about the Nintendo World Championships carts (for what theyíre worth Iíd rather own dozens of other super expensive collectible games). I donít super care about anything but NES, thereís lots of super high end stuff I donít have.

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 07:40:29 pm »
Thanks for the reply Default. Interesting stuff. Your collection is incredible.

Looks like you've focused heavily on Genesis over the past year. Trying to complete the set?

Eventually, since you do seem to be accumulating more than collecting, waiting for price increases and selling, are you just trying to get as many games as possible, one set at a time?

DefaultGen

• Fanboys are casuals
  • Guitar Hero Superfan
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 08:46:58 pm »
I basically want everything from the late 70s to late 90s. I'm not interested in selling. It's cool to have anything I want to play already on the shelf like a library and those are the games I play most. Some people try to collect for every console, but after a few years of buying PS2 and Wii games (and every Xbox game) I realized I have no interest in playing any of those. New systems are more multiplatform, more online, and have no personality. And 30fps ruins 3D games :P

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 11:44:01 pm »
yeah yeah, I heard your 60fps elitist views. Pfft

Dice

• Staff
  • Administrator
    • http://www.totalgamerzone.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 11:53:07 am »
I assume you insure your collection right? If not id probably do that

DefaultGen

• Fanboys are casuals
  • Guitar Hero Superfan
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 12:19:53 pm »
I assume you insure your collection right? If not id probably do that

No high end collectible insurance really deals with video games yet. My homeowners insurance says it's covered as regular personal property, but no one actually believes insurance companies won't put up a fight over high end games. It's a pretty big problem with collecting games but at least I know of one guy in the states who did get an insurance payout from regular homeowners insurance.