Author Topic: What movies have you recently seen?  (Read 167299 times)

BigD

• Insert Title Here
Re: What movies have you recently seen?
« Reply #3705 on: December 22, 2018, 11:58:08 pm »
Avengers Infinity War - 7/10

Lol I finally saw this. The best part of the whole movie was
Bruce Banner not being able to turn into The Hulk :lol:
Every good hero needs a theme song

BigD

• Insert Title Here
« Reply #3706 on: December 28, 2018, 03:22:27 pm »
Black Mirror Bandersnatch: 7/10

Interesting concept, but I don't know if it sticks the landing. For one thing it's WAY too meta (one of the choices is literally Netflix ffs :roff:) so if you don't like self-referential things in your movies you'll probably hate this. Also a lot of the "choices" only give you the illusion of being a choice--at some points the movie literally rewinds and makes you choose the other option anyway. I did enjoy it though, kinda felt like a Telltale game minus the game part lol.

linkzero

• Omnipotent Jelly
« Reply #3707 on: December 28, 2018, 11:39:47 pm »
Just watched Aquaman
7/10

Classic dumb fun action superhero movie. Some of the action sequences have some pretty impressive camerawork though.

DefaultGen

• Fanboys are casuals
  • Guitar Hero Superfan
    • http://www.radiantsilvergun.com
« Reply #3708 on: December 31, 2018, 12:05:18 pm »
Black Mirror Bandersnatch: 7/10

Interesting concept, but I don't know if it sticks the landing. For one thing it's WAY too meta (one of the choices is literally Netflix ffs :roff:) so if you don't like self-referential things in your movies you'll probably hate this. Also a lot of the "choices" only give you the illusion of being a choice--at some points the movie literally rewinds and makes you choose the other option anyway. I did enjoy it though, kinda felt like a Telltale game minus the game part lol.

Lol the Netflix choice was the best part of the entire movie. "What's Netflix, is that a planet?"

BigD

• Insert Title Here
« Reply #3709 on: January 01, 2019, 02:47:07 pm »
Spider-Man Homecoming: 8/10

Finally, a post-Tobey Maguire Spiderman movie that doesn't suck! :yes:

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #3710 on: January 01, 2019, 05:50:10 pm »
Anyone seen Spiderverse yet?

BigD

• Insert Title Here
« Reply #3711 on: January 02, 2019, 11:20:11 am »

Gonna see that this weekend hopefully. I've heard good things about it.

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #3712 on: January 02, 2019, 05:23:53 pm »

Gonna see that this weekend hopefully. I've heard good things about it.
Give us your thoughts when you watch it. Hearing nothing but praise for it.

DefaultGen

• Fanboys are casuals
  • Guitar Hero Superfan
« Reply #3713 on: February 04, 2019, 07:30:06 pm »
War for the Planet of the Apes 6/10

Dawn is one of my favorite modern movies because it's so well written and has complex characters and it's not a good guys vs. bad guys movie. In this, the humans are just cigar-chomping love-the-smell-of-napalm-in-the-morning military types and pretty much all of them just want to murder the apes.

It also has a ridiculous amount of on the nose imagery of things like American slavery, the Holocaust, The Wall, just one thing after another! I like subtle social commentary but every other scene it's like "Remember... the Vietnam War?", "Remember... Nazis?". And it's not an interesting narrative nod or allusion, it's one of 15 bricks in the face the movie throws at you. The actual moviemaking is brilliant, I wish the writers of Dawn did this one though.

madmaltese

• Staff
  • Administrator
« Reply #3714 on: February 04, 2019, 10:55:08 pm »
War for the Planet of the Apes 6/10

Dawn is one of my favorite modern movies because it's so well written and has complex characters and it's not a good guys vs. bad guys movie. In this, the humans are just cigar-chomping love-the-smell-of-napalm-in-the-morning military types and pretty much all of them just want to murder the apes.

It also has a ridiculous amount of on the nose imagery of things like American slavery, the Holocaust, The Wall, just one thing after another! I like subtle social commentary but every other scene it's like "Remember... the Vietnam War?", "Remember... Nazis?". And it's not an interesting narrative nod or allusion, it's one of 15 bricks in the face the movie throws at you. The actual moviemaking is brilliant, I wish the writers of Dawn did this one though.
Hey finally someone who feels like I did about War. Thought it was some of the most over the top forced imagery in any movie I've ever seen and done incredibly poorly too. The other 2 movies in the trilogy are brilliant and have equal well rounded characters where there are good and bad from both humans and apes, this one is so lobsided it's laughable. Every human may as well have been wearing an SS uniform. Movie was dull, boring and not to mention there was no 'War' at all.

DefaultGen

• Fanboys are casuals
  • Guitar Hero Superfan
« Reply #3715 on: February 05, 2019, 12:32:02 am »
The more I think about the movie, the more it bothers me. Itís like a trainwreck of every depressing allegory, all in the same movie at 200km/h (is that fast, probably). In case youíre wondering, The Wall stuff was super groan inducing in America too, lol. But in a way, itís almost beautiful how ridiculously hamfisted it is.

Also yeah, not really a war, more of a POW movie. Iím not sure if weíre supposed to think the few hundred people in this movie are everyone left on Earth or what?

DefaultGen

• Fanboys are casuals
  • Guitar Hero Superfan
« Reply #3716 on: February 08, 2019, 01:58:57 pm »
The Lobster is so good. If you like super weird, deadpan comedy, art house bullshit, watch it on Netflix. It reminded me of Zardoz in an "I will never watch a movie that's like this again" way.

linkzero

• Omnipotent Jelly
« Reply #3717 on: February 08, 2019, 05:01:07 pm »
I watched Polar on Netflix. It was good in a dumb nonsense action flick kind of way. Reminiscent of John Wick, although maybe not quite as cool action sequences, still entertaining.

ZoodtheDood

• The Last Barbarian King
« Reply #3718 on: February 08, 2019, 08:45:47 pm »
The Lobster is so good. If you like super weird, deadpan comedy, art house bullshit, watch it on Netflix. It reminded me of Zardoz in an "I will never watch a movie that's like this again" way.
I feel like The Lobster is an autistic persons view on romantic relationships and human companionship as a whole. The movie is hilarious though.
You think he actually blinded himself or left her there?

BigD

• Insert Title Here
« Reply #3719 on: February 08, 2019, 09:34:52 pm »